DVLA SERVES UP A GEM
DVLA Personalised Registrations has come up with 21st century recognition for famous Scot Sir William Wallace by putting a WA11 ACE plate up for grabs with a reserve of £2,000.
The registration is just one of 1,500 going under the hammer at the Heritage Motor Centre, Gaydon, Warwickshire, on May 26.
The catalogue for the three-day event boasts a mix of registrations ranging from £250 through to the sale’s star plate 15 O, boasting a £10,000 reserve.
Organisers have also listened to their regular customers by ensuring the final day –encompassing registrations starting with the letters O to Y – takes place on a Saturday.
The sale includes BEL 41R with a reserve of £400, CEN 50R (£400), FOR 1T (£900), G111 NNY (£900), F4 CTS (£900) and YES 80B (£400).
1,246 MILES ON A SINGLE TANK
ECONOMY driving specialist Gerhard Plattner has achieved 1,246 miles on a single 45-litre tank of fuel in a Skoda Fabia GreenLine.
Starting in Reutte, Austria, Plattner drove to Bov, Denmark and back to set a record-low for the Fabia GreenLine – 127.8 mpg, although the model's official consumption figure is a combined 83.1mpg.
The Austrian economy driving world champion used Germany's longest motorway, the A7, for his trip from Austria to Denmark and back.
VINTAGE STARS SET TO SEE RED
DONINGTON PARK will host SeeRed, the Vintage Sports-Car Club's historic racing festival, this weekend (May 21-22).
There are 17 races featuring cars dating from the vintage era alongside pre-1961 historic Grand Prix cars, 1960s Sports Racing Cars, Formula Junior, Equipe GTS (50s and 60s production sports-cars) and Formula 3 (500s).
As an added bonus, SeeRed will also welcome the legendary 24-litre Napier-Railton Land Speed Record car. Tickets are £15 per day and children under 16 go free.
ENGINE TECHNOLOGY’S MASSIVE IMPACT
ADVANCES in engine technology are helping motorists weather the storm of spiralling fuel prices, according to industry analysts CAP.
Since 2003 the average engine size in a small family car has reduced by 4 per cent while power output has risen by 12 per cent and combined cycle fuel consumption has improved by 16 per cent. Average CO2 output has also fallen significantly over the period.
David Saville, who runs CAP’s New Vehicle Data department, said: “The automotive industry has made massive strides in improving the efficiency of engines and this is paying dividends for hard-pressed motorists who need more than ever to keep spiralling fuel costs in check.”
HI-JACK READY FOR LIFT-OFF
LIFESTYLE brand Diesel and historic helmet producer AGV have teamed up to create the HI-Jack motorcycle helmet - inspired by helicopters and dedicated to fans of custom-built equipment.
Designed from models of helmets worn by real helicopter pilots, the HI-JACK comes from the Diesel creative team and has curved non-scratch visors, an ACF fibreglass shell and washable internal padding. Prices are from £175.